Friday, March 5, 2010

D for Discrimination or Development?

Today, Ms. Carly was with us. I sat beside her and talk about many issues and concerns about this club and NGO as we heard that the NGO is planning to close their education sector where this school is included. Simply it means that the school will be closed. This NGO closed has already closed one school under their project of education. The main reason behind this is lack of teachers as the payment of the teacher is very low and less people are willing to give volunteer service.
However, we are still not sure and its makes us hopeful. Today, I entered class I saw all faces of my student are new, I was puzzle. Then I realize it is not my class, I teach in class 4 and it is class 3. I feel relief as the drop out and changes of students are very common here. Finally, I came to know that the class room has changed for class 4. I entered in the class, I was very small and no benches or table there. In this school we have only 3 class rooms only one has benches and tables. I saw the only small black board is on the floor. I took the black board and put it on the only table in the room. 10 students were present in the class 5 boys and 5 girls. I am happy to see the attendance as it has a nice balance. I and my partner Meta teach them the subjects Bangla, Math, and English. Meta does not know Bangla as she is Cambodian. Teaching children like them who come from different backgrounds and some are after long detach form study or gap, is difficult as some students are very fast and some are very slow. Therefore, we cannot use one single method to teach them. Till now what I found is they are really very weak in English, so not like to study English very much. And for Bangla they always try to memorize things rather than understand or realize. I and Meta is planning to do some activities to make English more interesting to them.
After teaching these three subjects we play a game with the name of English days and months. It was fun and these children always love to play. The bell rang and reminds me that the class time is finished.
When I set in the car which is provided by my university and enjoying the coolness of AC and the video playing in the little TV screen of the car, suddenly Ms, Curly said that she feel bad when she see the situation of this children and after this come and set to this luxurious car and come to the luxurious building of our university. It is true, you will fill it so deeply when you experience it, experience the situation of this discrimination between the rich and poor people.

No comments:

Post a Comment